NQF Level 5 | NLRD ID: 57918
Who will benefit from the programme?
The National Certificate: Short-Term Insurance NQF Level 5 builds the knowledge and skills required by senior employees in Short-Term Insurance who have achieved the qualification requirements for the Fit and Proper Determination for Short-Term Insurance and are ready to study at NQF Level 5. It is intended to empower individuals to acquire knowledge, skill, attitudes and values required to operate ethically and responsibly in the highly-regulated Financial Services environment, and to respond to the challenges posed by the changing nature of the Financial Services industry. Learners who successfully complete this qualification benefit in terms of status and recognition, both in South Africa and abroad.
The curriculum is aligned to the National Certificate in Short-Term Insurance 57918 with a total credit value of 120 credits. The programme consists of Fundamentals (30 credits), Core (45 credits) and Electives (45 credits). This may vary depending on the individual or company’s needs and is available in 30 credit skill blocks. The programme is presented via lectures, group discussions, case studies and role-plays at NQF Level 5.
The minimum entry requirements for admission are:
- Learners should have at least an NQF Level 4 Qualification and should meet the requirements for licensing as indicated in the current determination of Fit and Proper Requirements for Financial Services Providers of the Financial Services Board under the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act (FAIS) (Act 37 of 2002).
Articulation: As this is an NQF Level 5 Qualification it should provide learner with access to any relevant Qualification at Level 6.
To complete the programme successfully, and be awarded a certificate, learners must be found competent in all aspects of the summative assessment according to requirements listed in the relevant student handbook.
Assessment is both formative and summative and includes:
- Individual and group exercises and tasks
- Closed book assessments
This qualification is intended for people in senior positions and management roles in the Short-Term Insurance Industry (Personal, Commercial and Corporate lines) including (but not limited to) Intermediaries, senior/experienced Underwriters, senior/experienced Claims Administrators, Loss Adjusters, Auditors who specialise in Short-Term Insurance and Compliance Practitioners.
- Interpreting current affairs and its impact on insurance
- Understanding the nature and scope of short-term insurance
- Applying knowledge of legislation, ethics and compliance in a short-term insurance environment
- Applying skills of consumer care to build a professional relationship with clients